Skip to content

TWA Flight 427’s Takeoff Collision

Precisely 28 years in the past at this time, on November 22, 1994, Trans World Airways (TWA) Flight 427 collided with a Cessna 441 Conquest II, killing each occupants of the smaller aircraft. The TWA plane concerned within the incident was a six-year-old McDonnell Douglas MD-82 registered as N954U.

Picture: GCmaps

In control of the flight was 57-year-old Captain Rick Carr, assisted by 38-year-old First Officer Randy Velocity. Additionally within the cockpit driving within the leap seat was an off-duty TWA worker known as Randy Richardson. TWA Flight 427 was a repeatedly scheduled passenger service between St. Louis Lambert Worldwide Airport (STL) in Missouri and Stapleton Worldwide Airport (DEN) in Denver, Colorado.


The Cessna was a constitution flight from Michigan

The Cessna 441 Conquest II that the MD-82 collided with belonged to Lansing, Michigan-based constitution airline Superior Aviation, Inc. The nine-passenger aircraft had arrived in St. Louis from Ford Airport (IMT) within the central Higher Peninsula of Michigan . After the passengers deplaned in St. Louis, the plane was scheduled to return to Iron Mountain for one more flight.

Robert Frola via Wikimedia Commons.“” data-modal-id=”single-image-modal” data-modal-container-id=”single-image-modal-container” data-img-caption=””””>

Cessna 441 Conquest II

Having boarded 132 passengers, TWA Flight 427 was scheduled to depart St.Louis at 21:34 native time however was pushed again from the gate quarter-hour delayed. Moreover the delay, all the things else was routine, with the plane being instructed to taxi out to Runway 30R for takeoff. At 22:01, First Officer Randy Velocity ​​suggested the tower that TWA Flight 427 was prepared for departure.

The Cessna pilot taxied out to the improper runway

The Cessna, in the meantime, had arrived in St. Louis at 21:40 and had dropped its passengers off on the constitution aviation terminal at 21:58. The pilot of the Cessna then suggested floor management that he was able to taxi again to the runway for the flight again to Michigan. The bottom controller instructed the Cessna to taxi to Runway 31 and maintain for additional directions. Regardless of the bottom controller telling the Cessna pilot to taxi out to Runway 31, the pilot by no means repeated the directions again and taxied onto Runway 30R simply because the TWA jet was getting ready to take off.

TWA Flight 427 was cleared for takeoff at 22:01 and taxied onto the runway with First Officer Velocity ​​on the controls. Because the aircraft started to speed up down the runway, the Cessna pilot suggested the controller that he was in place for takeoff. Because the MD-80 reached a pace of 80 knots, Randy Richardson within the leap seat yelled, “There’s an airplane!”

Seeing the Cessna, each Velocity ​​and Carr began braking and utilized a tough left rudder to keep away from a collision. Two to a few seconds after first seeing the Cessna, they felt the impression on the aircraft’s left aspect. The MD-82’s proper wing had struck the Cessna, shearing off the cockpit of the smaller plane. Whereas struggling injury to the wing, not one of the passengers and crew within the MD-82 have been injured.

Captain Carr instantly shut down the aircraft’s engines and known as for emergency help. As a result of jet gas had spilled all around the runway, an instantaneous evacuation of the MD-82 was wanted because of the hearth threat.

The investigation into the collision

The Nationwide Transportation Security Board (NTSB) decided that the Cessna had arrived from Iron Mountain, dropped off a passenger on the constitution terminal, and was getting ready for the return flight. The NTSB investigation couldn’t fathom why the Cessna pilot had taxied out to the improper runway. The one causes it might provide you with have been:

  • Pilot fatigue.
  • The late hour.
  • A rush to get again to Michigan forward of dangerous climate.

Finally, the NTSB concluded that because the Cessna pilot had landed on Runway 30R, he assumed he was additionally taking off from it. The NTSB additionally criticized the bottom controller’s use of none standardized phrasing and the Cessna pilot’s failure to repeat the controller’s directions. The NTSB additionally praised the MD-82 pilots for his or her use of the rudder to keep away from what might have been a major accident.

Following the incident, the NTSB beneficial that pilots learn again runway assignments to the controllers. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) modified controller’s handbooks requiring that every one pilots verify taxiing and runway assignments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *