As we put 2022 within the rearview mirror, we’re wanting again at a number of the yr’s hottest highway journey locations and traits. Based mostly on journey planning information and survey responses, Roadtrippers customers deliberate greater than 3.9 million highway journeys in 2022, stretching from Alaska to the southern tip of Florida.
You visited nationwide parks, stayed in basic roadside motels, and acquired your kicks on Route 66. You traveled with companions and household, and your common route distance was 1,000 miles. Maintain studying for much more highway journey takeaways from 2022.
Roadtrippers’ database of Extraordinary Locations options essentially the most spectacular, can’t-miss places across the nation—from majestic pure wonders to significant monuments to outsized roadside points of interest. A good portion of the highest 20 Extraordinary Locations added to journeys in 2022 are alongside Route 66. This consists of the primary cease, Oklahoma’s Blue Whale of Catoosa, a former swimming gap that will get notably festive in the course of the holidays.
However whether or not you are drawn to the evolving public artwork of Amarillo’s Cadillac Ranch or trying to promote your soul for guitar licks on the Satan’s Crossroads in Mississippi, all of those Extraordinary Locations are properly value a go to.
1. Blue Whale of Catoosa
2. Wigwam Motel No. 7
3.Santa Monica Pier
4. Cadillac Ranch
5. Wigwam Motel No. 6
6. Grand Canyon Nationwide Park
7.Yellowstone Nationwide Park
8.Badlands Nationwide Park
9. Nice Smoky Mountains Nationwide Park
10. Gateway Arch Nationwide Park
11. Acadia Nationwide Park
12.Golden Gate Bridge
17. The Manitou Cliff Dwellings
18. Coral Fort
19. Satan’s Crossroads
20. Motown Museum
- 85 % of survey respondents mentioned that discovering Extraordinary Locations is their favourite highway journey exercise.
- Nearly half of the 20 most added stops are alongside or close to Route 66.
Prime 10 nationwide parks added to journeys
Due to its abundance of scenic vistas, the West is all the time the preferred area for nationwide park visits—however Roadtrippers customers saved issues attention-grabbing this yr by rising their visits to parks all through the US Intricate cave methods, colossal arches, and towering bushes clearly piqued your curiosity in 2022, however not sufficient to shake Yellowstone, the nation’s first nationwide park, out of the highest three.
- grand canyon
- crater lake
- Nice Sand Dunes
- Gateway Arch
- Final yr, extra folks deliberate a go to to Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and Zion nationwide parks than they did this yr.
- Parks with elevated deliberate stops in 2022 in comparison with 2021 embody Gateway Arch, Mesa Verde, Rocky Mountain, Redwood, and Mammoth Cave nationwide parks.
Prime 10 state parks added to journeys
Regardless that one state—New York—might have received the 2022 state park reputation contest, Roadtrippers customers aren’t a fan of any single area, panorama, or attraction. From scorching desert ecosystems and petroglyphs to thrilling waterfalls close to the Canadian border, these state parks had roadtrippers touring close to and much for distinctive experiences this previous yr.
- Niagara Falls
- Maquoketa Caves
- Watkins Glen
- Valley of Fireplace
- Palo Duro Canyon
- Hanging Rock
- Cumberland Falls
- Pfeiffer Large Sur
- Letchworth State Park
- Maquoketa Caves and Watkins Glen noticed elevated reputation amongst Roadtrippers customers in 2022.
- Half of the state parks on this listing are east of the Mississippi River, with three in New York state.
Prime 10 states with essentially the most stops added to journeys
As Roadtrippers customers leaned closely westward when it got here to states with essentially the most deliberate stops this yr, it is no shock that Missouri, the one Midwestern state to sneak onto the listing, is dwelling of the “Gateway to the West.” Whereas just a few of final yr’s hottest states did not make the lower in 2022, the highest 5 remained unchallenged.
- South Dakota
- new Mexico
- Oregon and Missouri are new within the prime 10 this yr, changing Tennessee and Montana; Texas noticed extra stops deliberate in 2022 in comparison with 2021.
Prime 10 cities for beginning a highway journey
As everyone knows, highway journeys are extra concerning the journey than the vacation spot—however irrespective of the place we’re going, all of us have to start out someplace. In 2022, vacationers hit the highway from all throughout the nation, however cities within the desert Southwest, within the Pacific Northwest, and alongside the California Coast have been the preferred locations from which to launch a highway journey.
- Las Vegas
- The Angels
- San Francisco
- San Diego
- Solely three cities on this listing are east of the Mississippi River: Nashville, Orlando, and Chicago.
Hottest journeys to take
Planning your individual route is enjoyable, however generally we simply wish to comply with in another person’s footsteps. These have been the preferred pre-made journeys and routes saved by Roadtrippers customers this yr.
- One of the best issues to do on a Route 66 highway journey
- The final word information to Yellowstone Nationwide Park
- The final word information to Grand Canyon Nationwide Park
- The highest issues to do on a Blue Ridge Parkway highway journey
- Tips on how to greatest expertise Zion Nationwide Park
- One of the best issues to do on a Pacific Coast Freeway highway journey
Prime interstate guides
- The highest issues to do on an I-80 highway journey
- The highest issues to do on an I-40 highway journey
- The highest issues to do on an I-95 highway journey
How roadtrippers traveled this yr
We surveyed our customers this yr to get a greater understanding of highway journey habits and automobile preferences. We discovered that you just journey far and infrequently—on common, 4 highway journeys per yr—and most of you journey along with your vital different. Electrical automobiles are right here to remain, and Roadtrippers customers are getting on board. But it surely’s not all easy crusing—charging station availability remains to be a serious hurdle.
highway journey companions
Consumer information and responses collected from the Roadtrippers app and two electronic mail surveys despatched to Roadtrippers’ listing of publication subscribers.